Welcome to Grand Health Partners
Re-Focus Your Goals This New Year
Article By GHP's Exercise Physiologist Andy Retberg
Happy New Year!
This is a wonderful time of year to reset and refocus on our wellness goals. As we traverse through our daily responsibilities it’s very easy to lose sight of our long term wellness goals. If you’ve found it hard keeping up with your goals, now is the time to reexamine what you're doing.
Try going deeper by taking some time to meditate on it, journal about it, or just go for a walk and think about it. If you invest time in setting goals that mean a lot to you, you’ll be considerably more likely to invest the time needed to accomplish them!
Here are a few tips on how to stay motivated and focused so you can achieve your goals.
1. Adjust Your Goals. Grab a piece of paper and write down your original goal. Is your goal ‘SMART’; Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Trackable. Perhaps breaking it down into daily or weekly goals would make it more manageable.
2. Stop Kicking Yourself. Shame and guilt are powerful emotions that can sabotage us in the worst ways. In fact, we often treat ourselves worse than we'd ever treat anyone else. If you tend to spiral into guilt after failing, imagine what you would say to a friend in your situation. You'd most likely be encouraging and supportive while helping him or her come up with some solutions to the problem. Treat yourself with the same respect, realizing that failure is always part of success and can even make success sweeter.
3. Get Some Help. Most people have trouble reaching their goals without some help--either from friends, family or support groups. If you've been going at it alone, is there someone you can reach out to for help and support? A spouse, a sibling, or a friend? What about co-workers? Remember here at GHP we are simply a phone call or e-mail away and would love to hear from you and be of any assistance.
4. Think Small. Losing weight is more about the small choices you make every day. Every time you complete a workout or choose a glass of water over a can of Coke, you're reaching your weight loss goal. All of those small daily choices are what determines your success. So keep your focus on what you'll do today and don’t become overwhelmed with the future.
5. Lighten Up. Whether you lose weight or not, time will pass and life will go on. Ask yourself how you want to spend your time. Do you want to enjoy yourself and do the best you can? If so, give yourself some wiggle room. None of us are perfect when trying something new and failing at it isn't the end of the world. Ease up on yourself and you may find that you accomplish more than you ever did by kicking yourself down.
The key to success is not in being perfect. In fact, success is often found in our failures, but only if we allow them to teach us something. Most successful people will report failing many more times than succeeding. So give some thoughtful consideration to your goals, be proud of your efforts, and keep striving!
We welcome any feedback you have.We are also very appreciative of your willingness to share your story. If you had surgery at Grand Health Partners, take a moment to upload your story to our patient testimonials page.Read More